Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's almost Christmas and time to head south!

I can't believe it's almost Christmas!  We are looking forward to a good one this year, the first time in about 6 years that both of my daughters and my dad will be able to be with us in Roanoke.  That was the plan - to have a family Christmas this year.  Of course, seeing all of our friends has been great, too!  We visited friends Phyllis and Peter in New Bern for a few days, went to Savannah for Beth's big 60th birthday party, had Thanksgiving with neighbors Neva and Dave, and have had many wonderful Christmas parties/visits with our local friends.  Dad will be here tomorrow, Heather and Nikki arriving Christmas Eve.  Can't wait!

I've hit a bit of a snag, but we do NOT plan on letting it stop our trip to the Caribbean!  I've not mentioned that my  right ankle has bothered me for about 1 1/2 yrs. Swollen, hot needle pricking pain, popping sensation....I tried anti-inflammation drugs and a couple of Cortisone shots - they didn't work and the problem has gotten worse. I finally saw an orthopethic doctor who specializes in ankles rather than the general ortho.  SO-guess what I need to have surgery on --- yulp, my right ankle. Torn ligament. As the tear is progressing slowly, he is willing to wait until we return in July, so it's not a desperate situation.  BUT--- I learned that good ol' Anthem denied my MRI and pending surgery. They want me to wear a full air cast for a month and take another month's worth of an anti-inflammatory as a last ditch effort to heal the ankle instead. The doctor is as annoyed as I am. But, I'm dragging  around in the damned thing around now. I walk like a mountain goat.  It's lovely....




When I get back in July and almost certainly have surgery to repair the tendon, the recuperation won't be fun - 6 weeks in a cast and crutches, 6 weeks or so in this brace, and then PT. No driving for 6 weeks at least! UGH! We'll be home next summer. Guess I'll be teaching Luke Laundry 202...

That said, I do have a little protective brace that fits in my shoe and isn't as high. It's much more comfortable and convenient to wear.  I can use that when necessary on the boat.  I'll be wearing this most of the time when I'm on board or ashore.  I'm going to need a bigger backpack to lug this thing back and forth to shore!

Meanwhile, Luke has spent about 4 man-hour weeks getting the paperwork together and approved for getting our little princess into the various Caribbean islands that we hope to visit.  With the innoculations, tests, ID chip, and need for USDA certification, we are considering renaming her "Goldie".  It's been a tough road, but Luke has managed the process well and thinks we are almost done.



Our plan is to take dad back to Charlotte on the 26th, pack up, close up the house, and leave for Deltaville on the 28th.  After a couple of days for moving in and provisioning, we will leave, pray for good weather, and make the fastest tracks possible to the Bahamas and then the Caribbean.  Don't plan to be back in Roanoke until July. Hope to post from warmer climates soon!

1 comment:

Kayakbanker said...

Sorry to hear the news about the MRI. Wished we could have had more time to chat yesterday. Call if you can before you take flight. Will be thinking about you both and wishing powerful healing thoughts for your ailing ankle.

Merry Christmas!
C
CottageCrazy.blogspot.com