Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My turn....

You know, this aging stinks.....I awoke in a wee hour of Monday morning with the realization that my chest hurt.  Very different from anything else....When Luke awoke a couple of hours later, he insisted that we go to the ER.  I was admitted pretty darn quickly and given the full complement of cardiac testing over the next 48 hours, as the initial blood work showed enzimes related to heart issues, plus my EKG's changed a bit over the first few hours.

The doctors finally declared that all of the tests show no damage to the heart, no clots are lurking in dark corners, and there is no narrowing/hardening of the arteries that would require a stint, etc. The most likely suspect of the heart discomfort was a spasm in the coronary artery.  A spasm would cause the artery to close temporarily, creating a loss of blood to the heart, as would clot, etc.  To prevent that from happening again --- and to treat my slowly rising blood pressure -- I was put on a medication that will relax the arteries.


The good doctor has also assured me that I can go back to living a normal life (as it goes for us!), including our sailing.
 
So, all is well that ends well, and we're both relieved.  I'm home and relaxing for a few days (or as long I get Luke to do all of the chores and cook).  

No comments: